There’s a lot to consider while moving to a new residence, especially mail forwarding. You probably remember to change the basic services such as cable and internet. You also need to update your latest address with the USPS to get your mails forwarded. Forgetting to update your mails with the USPS mail forwarding service might lead to not receiving important mails on time. Such mails can include sensitive information like bills or any notices. With the USPS mail forwarding service, you can send a mail forwarding request at your new residence.
USPS Mail Forwarding Service
So, what does mail forwarding actually mean? If you are opting for the USPS mail forwarding service, you are requesting USPS to transfer your mails from the old address to the new address. Once your mail forwarding application is submitted, USPS will start forwarding the mails to your new address.
Whether you plan to move out temporarily or permanently, you can opt for the USPS mail forwarding service. For temporary relocation, you can file a USPS mail forwarding request that is valid for a period of 15 days and can last up to a year. The permanent mail forwarding service is for permanent moves.
Check out USPS shipping rates from here.
USPS Mail Forwarding Options
There are a total of 3 mail forwarding options that one can opt for. Based on the type of move, the customer can select the type of mail forwarding request they want to go for. The three mail forwarding services are:
- Temporary USPS Change of Address: The temporary USPS change of address service can be used if the customer is relocation for a short duration(less than 6 months). Through this service, you can receive the First Class mail service, but you might not receive the Marketing Mail services.
- Permanent USPS Change of Address: Through the permanent mail service, you will receive First Class Mails for up to 12 months and Periodicals(newsletters or magazines) for 60 days. This service does not provide Marketing Mail or Package services.
- PFS Service: Premium Forwarding Service is an additional service which can be used as an add-on to the free temporary and permanent services. You pay a certain amount of fee to get all your mails through Priority Mail service.
How to Forward Mails Through the USPS Mail Forwarding Service?
The USPS Mail Forwarding service can be used to change your address, which can be done either online or in person. There are 3 USPS change of address forms available for the customers:
- Individual: If only one person is moving to a new residence, then they can use this change of address form
- Family: If all the member of a family are moving to the same residence and all members have the same Last Name, then this change of address can be used
- Business: Use this service if your business is moving to a new location.
Change My Mailing Address Online
- To change your mailing address online, you need to go to the official USPS Change of Address page
- Carefully fill out the form and verify all the details. The form will ask you basic questions such as Name, Old and New Address, Relocation Time, etc.
- Once the form is filled, pay an amount of $1.10 through a credit or a debit card. This fee is a form of identify verification that validates your old address through the credit/debit card that you pay with. Through this validation, USPS ensure that you are making the change based on your own terms, and it isn’t a fraudulent activity. Once the verification is done, USPS will send you a confirmation email letting you know that your request is processed well.
- The USPS will send you a validation letter to the old address. This letter is used to verify your move to the new residence. You will also receive a validation letter to the new address which is used to confirm your move.
- If you need to make any significant changes to the address details, then you can update the details on USPS. You must have access to the verification code(mentioned in the confirmation email) to update any details in the USPS Change of Address Order.
Change My Mailing Address In Person
If you do not want to opt for the USPS mail forwarding service online, then you can do it in person by visiting the local Post Office. At the post office, you need to ask for a Mover’s Guide which contains the change of address form(PS Form 3575). The packet also contains instructions on how you can fill out the form. Fill out the form and hand it over. In-person change of address is free unlike the online change of address.
Note: Some sites might ask you for a fee of $40 to change your address online. Do not fall for such websites as they are a scam.
USPS Premium Mail Forwarding Service
By using the Premium Mail Forwarding Service, you can ensure that every piece of your mail is delivered to the right place and on time. The Premium Forwarding Service can be applied for both residential mails and business mails.
Check out where to buy stamps for USPS.
USPS Premium Mail Forwarding for Residential Services:
This service can be used by Residential Customers temporarily. The USPS collects every mail piece and delivers it in a single shipment to your new residence every week. This service can start at 2 weeks and can last up to 12 months after you move into a new location. The premium fee is $20.10 if the application is sent online, and $21.90 if the application is made in person.
The Priority Mail packages are sent right away, but all the weekly mails are sent to the new residence every Wednesday through the Priority Mail service. If the First Class mails are unable to fit in along with the weekly mails, then those mails are sent separately without any extra charge.
USPS Premium Mail Forwarding for Commercial Services:
Business or Commercial customers can apply for this temporary service. Through Priority Mail Express, all the business customers who have an active PO Box can forward mails to their address. These mails can be forwarded daily, i.e., Monday to Saturday, weekly once, or every month. The commercial fee costs $20.90. All the mails are stacked and shipped to the new residence through the Priority Mail Express Service.
USPS PFS Enrollment
Enroll in Premium Service Online
The PFS residential service costs $20.90 if you choose to enroll online. This is followed by a weekly fee of $22.75. To enroll in this service, you need to :
- Log in to your free USPS.com account
- Click on Premium Forwarding Service Residential Online
- Fill out the given form
- Set up the payment to start the service
Enroll in Premium Service In Person
To register for the Premium Mail Service, you can file an application at the local post office where your PO Box is located. Fill out the application form and make the payment of $22.75 followed by a payment of $22.75 for a weekly service. Carry two forms of ID along for completing the application process.
Common Mail Forwarding Issues: How to Get Mails to Your New Residence?
Now that you have moved in your new abode and have set up everything you need but the only thing you are missing out on is your mails. You’ve done everything possible by setting up a new address, filing an application, etc. But still, there isn’t any change yet. What might have gone wrong?
First and foremost, you need to clearly emphasize the date from which you want to start receiving your mails. As USPS takes a maximum of 7-10 days to redirect the mails to a new residence, you should file a USPS mail forwarding request at least 2 weeks prior to the move-in date. This way, you will start receiving the mail as soon as you move into the new residence.
Mail Is Missing/ Did Not Receive Mail on the New Residence
Check your USPS Mail Forwarding request status online if there isn’t any response from USPS even after 2 weeks have passed. You need a confirmation code to check for the mail forwarding request status.
- Go to Edit Change of Address Order page
- Enter the Confirmation code and zip code
- Press Submit to view the status
If the status is “Pending”, then USPS might take a few more days to process your request. And if the status is “Completed”, the mail forwarding request is processed by USPS. If there’s an error in the address, then you can make the necessary corrections and update the details.
Mail Sent to the Old Address
The USPS packages will be sent to the old address if the new address cannot be located. So make sure that the new address you fill in is accurate and correct. The mails that aren’t delivered to the destination address are stored at the Post Office for about 10 days. You can pick up the package within that time frame from the Post Office.
Package Is Missing?
If you believe that your package went missing, then submit an application for a Missing Mail Search Request. In this request, you need to mention the addresses of both the sender and the receiver, the type, and size of the package, tracking numbers, any mailing receipts, and other forms of identification to help track the package. Once the request is processed, USPS starts its search and sends you frequent updates.
Career Opportunities at USPS
Working for an esteemed organization such as USPS does come with a lot of perks. You get to work in challenging environments that test your potentials. If you have a flair for seeking knowledge and the eagerness to provide customers with better solutions, then you can explore the career opportunities USPS provides. This organization constantly hires employees for full-time, part-time, and also on a seasonal basis.
- Go to the official Career’s Page and tap the Apply Now button
- On a new page, enter the keywords and select the location based on your preferences
- Click on Start and filter the search results
- Once you’ve found the right pick, you need to fill out an application by creating an account first
- Some USPS application might ask you for an assessment. Once your application is processed, you might receive a mail from [email protected], which is a legitimate email address. Make sure to send a proper response as soon as you receive an email from them.
Employee Benefits at USPS
In addition to the basic pay and the salary increments, USPS provides a few extra perks and benefits to their employees to keep them highly engaged. Employee benefits play a crucial role in keeping the staff motivated and engaged. The employees of USPS have access to the following benefits:
- Compensation: Depending on job roles, the employees receive night shift allowances, overtime pay and premium pay for weekends
- Health Insurance: USPS covers most of the health related costs as it is associated with the Federal Employees Health Benefits program
- Dental and Vision Insurance: Employees have access to this facility through the Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Plans
- Retirement: Employees can participate in this program that also provides the disability coverage along with pension
- Commuter Programs: With this program, USPS provides a tax-free purchase of public transportation
- Leaves: The employees get 13 leaves annually for the first 3 years, which later increases to 20 days per year and then 26 days per year after 15 years.
- Career Development and Training: Through these programs, the employees can enhance their skill set and gain leadership skills.
If you have plans to move out to a new location, either on a temporary or permanently, you need to start making plans way ahead of time. To receive all your important on time, use the USPS mail forwarding services to your advantage. Although you can opt for the free mail forwarding service, there is a Premium service as well that collects and delivers all your mails at once. Remember to contact the local Post Office for assistance if you are facing any major issues. Also learn about passport appointment USPS from here.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ’s)
Yes, you can make any changes like the Cancellation of the PFS service, Start date, Extend or Shortening the number of weeks by logging into your account and updating the PFS Residential Order.
For the USPS mail forwarding services, the timeline starts from 2 weeks and can be extended up to a year.
If you are enrolled in the PFS services, then the collected mails are forwarded to the new address every Wednesday. USPS will send the tracking number of the Priority Mails every week to help track the weekly shipment.