What does it mean when your tracking status says ‘USPS insufficient address’?
When the tracking status says ‘USPS insufficient address’ it means that there is some part missing from the address. This can be a house number, door number, street number, route number, or whether the city or the state is missing or even a wrong zip code, etc. When a package arrives at the post office, the backend staff of the post office scans the package and if the address mentioned at the back of the package is not clear or legible, they prepare to return it to the sender with the update “USPS insufficient address”. This can also happen if the sender has missed out on adding a particular address detail on the package without which the package cannot be delivered to the right place.
On some occasions the USPS fails to recognize the address, which may lead to an “USPS Insufficient address” appearing on their side, That was a joke by the way. This may happen due to incorrect data in the mailing address; your address has to match with a similar address in the USPS database so that it can be read by their Application Programmatic Interface or the APIs for it to be valid. Sometimes the API is insufficient and may lead to a “USPS Insufficient address”. An API is a platform that enables the technical team to access all the postal addresses for the United States within the USPS database and validate the given address.
Learn about usps priority mail from here.
Where will the mail be handed to if the mail is addressed incorrectly?
If the address of the recipient is incorrect or as they say, “USPS Insufficient address” on the mail, it will be returned to the sender. The local carrier will bring the mail back to the local post office and the post office will keep it for 15 days before returning it to the sender. Also, if there is no return address mentioned on the mail or the package, then the mail delivery representative will send it to the local post office or the mail piece will be sent to the ‘Mail Recovery Center’.
If the mail is located appropriately, and it meets the USPS rules and guidelines on return and replacement then it will be redelivered to you. It does not matter then that you might have an ” USPS Insufficient address” There is no additional cost involved in the redelivery of the mail.
What are the steps you can take if your mail hasn’t arrived correctly?
Now, if you do not receive your mail within 7 days or so from the actual date of mailing, here are a few things that you can do:
- Firstly, you can request the USPS representatives to search for your mail by submitting a search request through the ‘Missing mail application’. Here are a few steps that you need to follow in order to file a missing mail application to the USPS.
- Checking the current status of your package: You can check the current status of your mail by tracking the package through the USPS tracking service before you initiate the search for your mail or package. When you click on the above link, you will be directed to a page where you need to enter the tracking number or the bar code number in the input box and then click on ‘track’. If you do not know how to find your tracking number, the page also has instructions on how and where to find your tracking number. There is also a ‘FAQ’ section which can provide some helpful information about the same.
- Completing a help request form: You need to complete the online help request form before you initiate a missing mail search. When you click on this link you will be redirected to a page where you can either enter your tracking number or choose from one of the issues as mentioned like ‘where is my package?’ or ‘where is my mail?’ etc. Once USPS receives your ‘request form’ email, they will forward it to your local post office to help track your missing mail or package.
Please remember that you have to submit this form through your desktop computer.
The Final Option
If you do not receive your mail within 7 days from the time of submitting the online help request form’, you can then submit a search request through ‘Missing mail application’. You will have to provide the following information in order to file a ‘missing search request’
What does sorting/processing complete mean?
Information required by the USPS
- Sender’s mailing address.
- Recipient’s mailing address.
- The description of the mail he packages like the size or the type of the package or the container or the envelope used etc.
- The description of the content like the color, shape, size, brand, a model of the, etc. of the item (if it is applicable).
- Any other particular detail or information that can help in tracking the package like the tracking number, receipt number from your mailing receipt (if any), the date of mailing the package, etc.
- Any photo of the package or the mail item that can assist in identifying the package will be of great help.
- The second option is to inquire about your missing mail is to contact the USPS service representatives or the Consumer Affairs representative on 1-800-275-8777. You can call them and request them to assist you in completing the ‘search request’ on your behalf.
- You can also visit a local USPS post office and submit your search request in person.
- If you want to track your shipment or inquire about your missing mail, you can also call USPS customer care on 877-569-6614 or email them at [email protected]. You can provide them with your tracking number and other details like the sender and the recipient’s information that can help them in locating your package.
While filing a search request on the missing item or the mail, you need to remember that the United States Postal Services (USPS) has certain guidelines or policies, and the reason for the USPS Insufficient address status might dawn on you. There can be items can be returned or replaced and ones that cannot. If your mailpiece is recovered, and it meets those guidelines then the package will be delivered to you by the USPS.
What can you do if the mail address is correct, but the mail still isn’t delivered?
If your mail address causes you to receive the status “USPS Insufficient address”, or you have changed and corrected your mail address with the USPS and you still didn’t receive the mail, then it could be because your request for the change of address did not go through. In that case, you need to verify with the USPS to see if your address change request has been accepted. You can call the USPS on their customer service number mentioned in the previous section of this article.
In order to request a change of address, you can click on this link and follow the simple instructions mentioned on the page.
What are some of the other reasons that mail cannot be delivered correctly?
There can be several reasons as to why a mail cannot or hasn’t been delivered properly. The address being incorrect or some information or data in the address is incorrect or missing is the primary reason behind this. However, there can be situations where your mail was delivered to your neighbors in your absence, and you were not notified about it or the mail delivery personal tried contacting you but couldn’t reach you, so he had to leave you with a missed delivery notice.
The mail may have been delivered to the wrong address due to misinterpretation of data (number) within the address. If your mail is being misdelivered, we ask you to be patient as it is common issue when the address is not correct. There can be a delay in the delivery as well from the USPS’s side because of a backlog due to heavy workload. If none of the above reasons is valid, then there can be a possibility of mail theft as well.
In Case of Theft…
In case you suspect mail theft, you need to report your losses to the postal inspectors. You can either call them on 877-876-2455 or visit the United States Postal Inspection Service and click on the ‘Report’ option on the top right-hand corner of the page. Just follow the instructions given there.
A missing mail or package can cause a lot of confusion and cause an increase in workload in addition to issues with respect to tracking and delivery. To avoid such situations and cut down the delay in delivery time, you can make sure to provide the correct address, double-check to see that all the elements in the address are entered accurately like the house number, street number, zip code, provide a landmark where required, etc.
USPS stuck on shipping label created. What does this mean? Learn about it from here.
In order to minimize the risk of losing a mail or mail theft, you can use the ‘virtual mailbox’ service from USPS which is an online mailbox. Your mail will be delivered in the virtual mailbox of the USPS and the mail operators will then scan the mail and upload it in your mailbox. You can log in to this mailbox through your mobile phone and perform multiple functions like read it, archive it or forward the mail, etc. We hope to have provided solutions for the notification ” USPS insufficient address”.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs):
If the delivery representative fails to deliver the mail to your address, he returns it to the local post office where it is kept for about 15 days before returning it to the sender.
You can file a ‘missing mail application’ 7 days after submitting the online help request form from the website.
Your mail keeps getting delivered to your old address and this may lead to a lot of confusion and loss of mail also. If you are moving to a different area, do not forget to update your address with the USPS. You can click here to update your new address by following simple steps.
You can also change your address by submitting Form 3575 – the ‘change of address form. Likewise, you can get this form from the USPS website or at the local post office.
You can call them on Call 1-800-ASK-USPS and follow the instructions for a change of address.