If you have never had the chance to use the USPS certified mail, then this is a cue to start doing so. This exceptional service is important for those people who are often sending important mails and want to know if the package has reached the right destination. Although you can use the regular USPS tracking tool to find out if the package was delivered on time, you might come across some troubles such as the status of delivery not being updated or forgetting/losing the tracking number. To save yourself from such problems, you can switch to the USPS certified mail tracking service. Read on to find out how to use the USPS certified mail tracking service and how can you ship packages through this service…
USPS Certified Mail Tracking
What Is Certified Mail?
A certified mail is a service in which the sender of the package receives a receipt along with the electronic verification that whatever package they had shipped was delivered, or the delivery attempt was made. This means that every time a delivery attempt is made, the sender of the packages receives a notification claiming so. Through certified mail, the sender is assured that the package is secure and constant attempts are being made to deliver the package to the destination.
Learn about USPS click and ship from here.
How Does Certified Mailing Work?
When the sender signs up for this service, they receive a receipt for certified mail referred to as Form 3800. They also keep receiving delivery updates from time to time that inform the status of the package. There are many ways to check the status of the package online which we will be discussing in a short while.
Features of Certified Mail
- A mailing receipt is given to the sender
- A delivery record is stored in the official database of USPS. These records contain information on the recipient’s signature and all other details which will be stored for up to 2 years.
- The signature proof is a service which can be requested while you are purchasing the return receipt. The signature proof of the recipient is one way to identify if the package was delivered to the right person. A return receipt contain information about the destination address(if it was changed), the recipient’s signature and the date and time of delivery.
- This mail category is also eligible for refunds. Remember that not all items can be eligible for refunds as there are certain limitations to this.
- You can use the usps certified mail tracking to track the status of the package
USPS Certified Mail Tracking
As mentioned before, the USPS Certified Mail Tracking status can be checked in any of the following three ways:
- Phone: Call USPS on their customer service number to track your certified mail package. You need to have the tracking number of the package to check the status of the package. The customer support team won’t be able to help you find the package without a tracking number. Call on this number during the working hours to find your package.
- Bulk Electronic File Transfer: You can find out the status of your package if you have provided USPS with the electronic manifest.
- Through the Internet: The easiest way to track your package is by using the tracking tool available on the USPS official website. Simply visit the USPS Tracking tool and enter the tracking number on the website to locate your package.
Certified Mail and Other Services
The certified mail can be used with any one of the following three additional services:
- Certified Mail Restricted Delivery: In this service, the package is only delivered to the addressee or any other agent who is authorized by the addressee
- Mail Adult Signature: In this service, the package is only delivered to those who are above 21 years old, i.e., an adult
- Certified Mail Adult Signature Restricted Delivery: The package is delivered to either the addressee or the person who is 21 years(or older). This mailing service is mostly used by commercial mailers.
How to Send a Certified Letter?
You can send certified mail either by visiting the local USPS post office or by simply navigating to the official USPS website in the comfort of your home.
- Visit the post office and buy the certified mail form. This form has a green and white sticker along with a barcode. The receipt also has a perforated edge which is basically a receipt. You need t keep this with you as a form of proof.
- Carefully fill the form with all the necessary details
- Place the sticker on the top edge of the envelope. The address must be on the left of the sticker. Make sure that you have enough space to stick the postage stamps
- Buy the postage for your package depending on the service that you are using
- Select any one of the above three additional service(Restricted Delivery, Adult Signature and Adult Signature Restricted Delivery)
- If you want a return receipt, you can receive it through email, PDF or a physical receipt which will be issued by the postal services
- Your receipt will be stamped with the mailing date
When the mail is shipped, keep checking the website every often to find out if your mailpiece has been delivered or not. The website will have the signature of the recipient which can be found when the mailpiece is delivered.
Send Certified Mail Online
- The first step towards sending a certified mail is to create a free account on any website that qualifies for USPS certified mail service. Remember that creating an account should not involve any monthly fee as this is clearly a scam
- Take a look at the price for sending certified mail. Check if the website allows you to track the package along with proof of delivery and proof of mailing
- The next step is to prepare the letter in a word processing document. Also fill the form provided by the recipient. Print both the letter and the form and sign it if needed
- Then scan the document and save it on your desktop. Make sure that the copy is easy to read
- Upload this document on the website and the shipping service will have your document addressed, printed and mailed on the same day.
- Keep the copies of the proof of mailing and the proof of delivery for later use
Cost of Certified Mail
As certified mail is a guaranteed service, most people want to know the amount of money they need to pay to use this service. The certified mail costs $3.35 which is only the cost of using this service. This means that you have to pay extra for using the type of shipping services such as Priority Mail or First Class Mail. For a return receipt, you need to pay an extra amount. For a return receipt delivered through the mail, the person has to pay $2.75 and for an electronic return receipt, you need to pay $1.45.
Where to buy postage stamps? Check it from here.
Amount of Time Taken to Deliver Certified Mail
The amount of time it takes to deliver certified mail will entirely depend on the type of mailing class you have chosen. For example, if you chose Priority Mail Express, it will only take a single day to get delivered to the destination. If First – Class mail is chosen, it will take 2-5 days to reach the destination.
Why Should You Use USPS Certified Mail Tracking?
You might have probably thought of why certified mail is so hyped about. Why should you go for this service when Priority Mail Express can deliver your mail at a rather economical cost and also ensures faster delivery. What’s so good about certified mail that makes many people want to go for this service? Let’s find out below:
- Ensured Delivery: Unlike regular mail which takes days to arrive and might also end up being lost due to certain reasons, certified mail guarantees delivery. Now you must be thinking that Priority Mail Express does the same? So, what’s special about certified mail? Well, certified mail also gives you the exact date and time of when the recipient receive the package.
- Proof of Postage: While sending a package through certified mail, you have to fill a form while will give you the proof of the postage that you have paid
- Track All Your Items: You can track all your items in any way possible. It can be done either online, or you will receive updates on your phone. This lets you find out where your package is at the moment.
- Records: USPS maintains the record of certified mail users in their official database for about 10 years. You can refer to these records if you come across any situation in the near future.
- Security: With certified mail, you can add a layer of security of packages of extreme importance such as taxes, bills, official paperwork, etc.
Refund for USPS Certified Mail Tracking
The cost of using certified mail with added features is relatively expensive. And when combined with mailing classes, you end up paying extra. As a customer, you should be happy to know that certified mail can be refunded. This policy remains active if you haven’t received the return receipt within 30 days. The refund will only be applicable to the certified mail service. You won’t receive any refund for the postage that you paid.
USPS Certified mail tracking is the only service that not only delivers your packages on time but also gives you the assurance that the package was received by the recipient. You can stick to this service to send all your important mails in a timely order. Using the additional services, you can add extra layers of protection to the package. Now that you have an idea of how to send the package through certified mail, you can go ahead and use certified mail to your advantage.
How do I verify my address with USPS? Learn by clicking the link here.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ’s)
A signature proof lets you find out if the package was in the right hands while it was delivered to the recipient. The signature proof must be selected at the time of asking for a return receipt.
The certified mail is a guaranteed service that ensures delivery and comes with many amazing features that you should check out.