It is common for senders to ponder over the mails they have sent to the recipients. With a significant increase in wrong deliveries and mail thefts, many senders are anxious to know whether the mails they have invested in are on the right track and if the packages are received by the authentic recipient. You obviously cannot take any chances if the contents of your package hold a significant value. Sending parcels through certified mail service adds many layers of protection to your parcels, thereby, saving them from any possible thefts and misdeliveries. If you have never sent certified mail, then this will help you in finding out how to send certified mail.
How to Send Certified Mail USPS
Certified mail is one such service that guarantees delivery to the accurate location and the right recipient. When a person signs up for certified mail, they receive an electronic confirmation that a delivery has been attempted. The sender also receives a mailing receipt also known as a certified mail slip, and they can track the delivery of their packages in many ways possible. You get the following benefits when you choose this service to send a mail:
- Refund: You get a refund for the service used to send mails
- Proof of signature: signature proof of the recipient
- Mailing Receipt: a proof of sending the mails
- Delivery record: the record of sending certified mail is kept safe at the post office
- Delivery status: You can keep checking the delivery status in 3 ways
Uses of Certified Mail
Before jumping into how to send certified mail, we need to understand why this service is popularly used. Any confidential mails can be sent through certified mails. These kinds of mails are mostly sent by businesses or any financial institutions, jurisdictions, attorneys, etc. If you are sending a highly secure document then this service works well. Even if the recipient does not sign the notice, the sender will find out that the delivery was attempted by the letter carrier. Some eCommerce sites also use this service to send you mails. Anyone can use this service if they are sending confidential data which is sensitive to the user.
Learn about postage to Canada from US by checking this article.
A certified mail can only be used for the following mailing services:
- First class Mail
- First class package service
- Priority Mail
How to Send Certified Mail Usps
Now, there are two methods to help you figure out how to send certified mail, and either of these two methods can be used to send a package. You can either do it in person or you can send certified mail online through the website.
How to Send Certified Mail in Person at the Post Office
If you don’t know how to certify a letter or how to send certified mail package at the post office, then you can follow the steps given below:
- Visit the post office by searching for the post office locator on the usps website
- When you are at the post office, ask for a Certified Mail Form 3800
- This form is in green and white colors and has a barcode. The barcode helps in tracking the package during the shipping process
- In one corner of the form, there is a perforated receipt which can be used as proof that you have mailed the package
- Fill up the form with all the basic details such as name, address, etc
- Detach the sticker from the form and place it on the top of your parcel. Place the sticker between the address and the postage stamp on the envelope. For the packages, place the sticker on the left of the address
- Pay the postage for the package. You can also pay for any additional service that you might want along with the fee for Certified Mail which is $3.35, and the fee for Return Receipt which is $2.75.
- You can also apply for a restricted delivery service in which a specific person can receive the package and sign it
- After making all the payments, keep a record of your receipts and documents in one place.
- A unique confirmation number will be given to you and you need to confirm the delivery online
- Finally, you can keep checking the website for important updates to check when and where the package was delivered.
- You can also check out the website as it keeps a record of the certified mail for about 2 years
How to Send Certified Mail Online
Follow these steps to figure out how to send certified mail online:
- To send certified mail online, you need to create an account online at any website that legitimately offers usps certified mail service. As there are many fake websites that ask for a fee for just creating an account, make sure that the website is safe and authentic
- View the pricing on sending a certified mail and also ensure that you get free tracking on your package as well. You should also check for proof of delivery and proof of mailing
- Write down the letter that you want to mail. Print the letter and sign it
- Then scan your documents and keep them safe in a folder.
- Finally, upload the documents onto the website so that the system can scan, print, and send them on the same day
- Keep all your copies together as keep checking for the latest updates by tracking the information online
How to Send Certified Mail Without Any Mistakes
Now that you have an idea of how to send certified mail, you should also beware of certain mistakes that might lead to delays in delivery. As there is a tremendous increase in issues related to mail delivery, you must keep an eye for the following mistakes so that your mail does not end up somewhere else instead of reaching the destination on time.
Incorrect Address or Missing Address
Incorrect mailing addresses are one of the most frequent problems that USPS encounters. Due to the wrong addresses mentioned on the parcels, many packages end up being stacked at the local post office. As the incorrect addresses cannot be located by the USPS, these packages are either returned to sender.
USPS recommends that you keep a close eye while printing your addresses on the packages. If you are printing the labels, make sure to cover them with transparent packing tape to keep them away from tearing or soiling. If the labels are handwritten, write them as clearly as possible and make sure it is in a readable format.
Not Printing the Postage Online
Print the amount for the postage online. By printing the postage for your parcels, you will know how much postage you need to pay based on the service that you are using.
While sending a mail, you must also beware of the mailing class. If you are sending some important documents that need to arrive at the destination immediately, then you can use the Priority Mail Express service. With this service, you can send your packages in a single day. If you are mailing an item that does not have anything to do with the time taken for delivery, then you can use any other mailing class of your choice.
Also, you need to decide the mailing class based on the weight, size, and shape of your package.
What Is Registered Mail and What Does It Do?
Now that you have an idea of how to send certified mail, registered mail can be called an upgraded version of certified mail which adds many more layers of protection and security to your parcels. The registered mail offers a chain of custody, meaning a chronological order of documentation that records the registration of the package at every location it travels to. Registered mail records information of the letter from the day it is picked up from the post office till it reaches the destination. You get access to the tracking information at every point in time and you can watch the updates whenever needed.
Finally, when the mailpiece arrives at the destination, you will receive an update that the delivery was attempted and the recipient has signed and claimed the package. Additionally, the sender will also get access to Priority delivery with Registered Mail.
What should you do if FedEx scheduled delivery pending for days?
Differences Between Registered and Certified Mail
Some of the primary differences between registered mail and certified mail are:
- Registered mail is a lot more secure than certified mail as registered mail involves a sequential order of documentation. It records the status of the package at every move. The certified mail on the other hand only gives proof of delivery of the package. Certified mail only makes sure that the package was delivered to the authentic recipient.
- The registered mail can only be sent through the post office and nowhere else. Certified mail can be sent through the post office and through any online business website.
- As certified mail is applicable for First Class and Priority Mail service, the packages reach the destination within 1 to 4 days. For registered mail, the delivery is a lot slower, typically 14 days.
- Registered mail provides every detail at the time of delivery such as the recipient’s signature, location, and receipt for the sender. Certified mail only sends the recipient’s signature and receipt to the sender.
- The cost of registered mail is more unlike certified mail
- Registered mail includes insurance whereas, for certified mail, you need to purchase insurance separately
- A certified mail can be sent through first class and priority mailing classes. A registered mail cannot be sent through any mailing service, unlike certified mail. It should be sent separately.
As certified mail can be sent by anyone, you simply need to figure out if it is worth your time, depending on the contents of the parcel. Certified mail lowers the chances of mail theft and identity theft which is a common issue that many people face during shipping their packages. It is recommended that you use this mailing service when you have to send confidential mails or important business mails so that you can have a record of delivery which you can access through the USPS database whenever needed.
Is UPS store open on Sunday? Know it from here.
Hope you found all the information on how to send certified mail!!…
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ’s)
You can ship a certified mail through any local post office or any online business website that is partnered with USPS. For more information on how to send certified mail, check out the process given above.
A certified mail takes 1 to 3 days to arrive as it is shipped through First Class or Priority Mail.
A registered mail is better than a certified mail as it records the progress of your package at every point, unlike certified mail which only records the delivery attempts made.